The beautifully proportioned Neo-Gothic St Vincent's Chapel, Potts Point was solemnly dedicated on the 10th February 1902.
While modelled on the chapel in Dublin of the Irish Sisters of Charity, it relates beautifully to its own Australian context through the use of local red brick and its sandstone trim.
Many of the exquisite stained glass windows were gifted to the Chapel by students and ex-students of St Vincent's College. There are many examples of Carrara marble statues which still grace the chapel today. The parquetry floor provides an interesting story that reveals the importance of this chapel in the period of the Second World War as it was paid for by American forces situated locally who needed altar breads.
Today the chapel is largely used for services of the Sisters of Charity and the St Vincent's College Community. During school term it is used by the College for Year Mass and Boarders Masses, for prayer and worship and as a place of quiet reflection. Adapted from an historical account by Sister Catherine O'Carrigan RSC, May 2006.
Weddings and Baptisms can be held by arrangement for ex-students and family of ex-students. There is an organ gallery for soloists, choirs and musicians and the aisle is an ideal length for weddings.
Bookings may be made through our Receptionist on 9368 1611.
A recent wedding:
St Vincent's College wishes go to the happy bride and groom.